Who We Need
Do you look at a piece of creative and know immediately if it works or not? If it doesn’t, can you articulate how to make it better? Are you an adrenaline junkie fueled by winning the pitch, believing that inspiration can come from anywhere? Were you drawing before you could talk and do you dream in technicolor?
If this sounds like you, let’s talk.
At Civilian, we believe creative is a living, breathing organism that’s constantly growing and changing. It should be vivid and bold and it should take risks that many are too afraid to take. We are looking for a Creative Director who is committed to doing great work and will never lower their standards and present work that is just okay. At Civilian, great work is the end game and we are looking for someone to lead campaign strategy and on some days, change the world.
Let’s be real, if design isn’t your first love or if you’re more of an “idea person” this is not the spot for you. We are looking for a creative leader who will create calm and consensus around them and will be in the trenches with the team—rolling up their sleeves, getting dirty and building something important together.
What you’ll do:
- All that is Creative: from campaign concepting and ideation to (oversight of) execution and measuring
- Yes, that includes art direction and hands-on design too
- Leadership & management of Creative Department, with a penchant for elevating those around you
- Ownership and build-out of preferred vendors
- Push the boundaries; building out Civilian’s creative reputation in our areas of expertise and delivering brilliant and inspiring pitches and presentations
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Stellar Graphic Design expertise, digital/media expertise preferred; maybe even “award-winning”
- BFA or BA in design (or related field) and 8-10+ years of design experience, with significant managerial agency/studio experience.
- A deep understanding of brand development as well as both traditional and digital marketing
- The ability to come in on-schedule and under budget, relentlessly
- An obsession with culture, technology, trends, and their evolution
- Critical, strategic thinking…always
- Thought leadership in behavior change/social impact
- Ability to work cohesively with all departments as well as Business Development a large percentage of the time
- Superb presentation skills; a knack for bringing people along in your storytelling
Who We Are
Civilian is a full-service marketing communications agency dedicated to building stronger communities. For 18 years, we have worked with government agencies and community organizations at the forefront of the costliest and most stubborn public health and community issues in California. From healthy eating, suicide prevention, and mental health stigma reduction to recycling, conservation, and disaster preparedness—we turn audience research and insights into education and outreach strategies that ultimately influence individual behavior.
At Civilian we work hard and play hard. We are extremely proud of our work and we are looking for a Creative Director to join our growing team.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Careers@Civilian.agency and use “Applying for Creative Director at Civilian” in the subject line.