***Please note this position will be located in our Sacramento office.
At Civilian, we judge the success of our work on a single, compelling metric: Did we move people? Move them to learn, move them to engage, or move them to take action. It’s meaningful and inspiring work for the right individual, and we pride ourselves in doing things differently to move the bar.
We are seeking a proven media relations and community outreach professional with a passion for social change to support our growing public relations practice. The Public Relations (PR) Associate is responsible for supporting all PR client activities including the development of editorial calendars, press releases, program launch events, media pitching, press lists and much more.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional writer and copy editor, creative problem solver, organized, and a self-starter with the knowledge and energy to support projects from plan development through execution. And, have time left over to have fun with the rest of our dedicated team.
Responsibilities Include, (but not limited to):
- Supporting the planning, development and execution of public relations activities in accordance with the client’s and agency’s objectives and budget.
- Daily project management of client and Agency PR activities.
- Screen initial PR events and opportunities, both inbound and outbound.
- Writing press releases, pitches, talking points, fact sheets, editorial calendars and more.
- Managing the Agency’s media contact database and online distribution of press releases
- Actively following up with reporters on news pitches.
- Researching and identifying press and outreach opportunities including story angles and community events.
- Works and coordinates with all internal teams (Media, Creative and Account Services).
- Occasional travel to/from San Diego will be required
Must Possess Ability to:
• Write compelling copy quickly and possess strong copy-editing skills.
• Research and understand technical information and distill it to clear and understandable content for a layman.
• Offer creative solutions and think outside of the box.
• Work in a high-paced environment and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- 4+ years of related work experience and /or training in public relations; agency experience is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field required.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the press relations process and experience with grassroots marketing is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and work well as a team.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Careers@Civilian.agency and use “Applying for Public Relations Associate at Civilian” in the subject line.
Civilian is a full-service marketing communications agency dedicated to building stronger communities. At Civilian, we tackle complex social issues—from preventing suicide and reducing the stigma of mental illness to encouraging recycling and conservation—and create change for the common good. We believe that positive changes in attitudes and behaviors is only possible when we work together. We believe that where there’s a WE, there’s a way. We are Civilian.