At Civilian, we judge our work on a single, compelling metric: Did we move people? Move them to learn, move them to engage, and move them to take action. It’s impactful and inspiring work for the right kind of individual, and we pride ourselves on doing things differently to move the bar.
We are seeking a dynamic Business Development Manager with exceptional project management skills and a passion for social change to be the “hub” of the Business Development team. Reporting to the Vice President of Strategic Development, and supporting several other senior leaders, the Business Development Manager will manage the development of all proposals from start to finish—often with several proposals in development concurrently—and ensure top-notch content, systems, and processes.
The ideal candidate takes initiative to solve problems, is impeccably organized and detail oriented, delivers high-quality work with limited direction and oversight, proactively improves processes, and has strong research and communication skills. Candidates should be able to work both independently and with team members in all departments, at every level of the agency, and at all of our offices (San Diego, Los Angeles, and Sacramento).
This is a great opportunity for a motivated individual with a passion for project management to grow in advertising/marketing communications, business development, and proposal management.
Proposal Project Management
- Continuously monitor and evaluate Request for Proposal (RFP) notifications; promptly write-up RFP summaries with clear recommendations and distribute to the Business Development team for internal review; ensure that a decision is made about each opportunity; and quickly launch proposal development process for those approved.
- Manage proposal development process through all phases: organize and onboard the team; create and ensure adherence to the timeline; gather, develop, or manage the development of all proposal content; review, verify accuracy of, and proof all proposal content; complete all administrative requirements; manage design and production of final deliverables; lead assembly of final deliverables; and ensure on-time delivery.
- Serve as liaison with all departments and subcontractors to manage proposal development and ensure roles, responsibilities, bid requirements, and deadlines are clear and met.
- Organize the team and presentation development process for potential pitches; facilitate team member priorities to develop PowerPoint presentations and other creative assets that may be required; manage travel arrangements and other logistics as needed.
Content Development and Organization
- Manage the production of business development content (résumés, case studies, etc.) in multiple formats, ensure that content is updated when needed, and organize it for easy access.
- Administer the content management database; promptly enter all completed proposals into the database with appropriate format and tags; optimize database functionality; and pull relevant content for new proposals.
Team Processes and Systems
- Take ownership for maintaining an efficient, successful business development function; continuously refine and improve processes; ensure adherence to processes by colleagues while adjusting for different work styles, timelines, and circumstances.
- Master the functionality of the agency’s task and content management software; continuously update the “hot sheet” of active tasks; manage contacts, leads, and opportunities.
- PMP certification or knowledge of and experience with agile and sprint-style project management processes, procedures, and tools.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage complex projects, follow threads, close loops, juggle multiple, competing priorities, and meet multiple, competing deadlines, simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional team settings.
- Proactive problem-solver with a figure-it-out mentality.
- Extreme attention to detail; must be able to apply a consistent, methodical approach to creating proposals and other content that require extensive formatting and proofing.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in a related field and four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Two or more years of proposal management experience, or in a proposal related role which includes project and team support, preferably within sales/marketing/advertising.
- Experience with government and nonprofit RFPs and procurement processes.
To apply, please send your résumé, cover letter and salary requirements to Careers@Civilian.agency and use “Business Development Manager Application” in the subject line.
Civilian is a full-service marketing communications agency dedicated to building stronger communities. Based in San Diego, the agency tackles complex social issues—from preventing suicide to promoting public transportation and recycling—to create change for the common good. Learn how at www.civilian.agency