At Civilian, we judge our work on a single, compelling metric: Did we move people? Move them to learn, move them to engage, and move them to take action. It’s impactful and inspiring work for the right kind of individual, and we pride ourselves in doing things differently to move the bar.
And right now, we are seeking a senior level Communications and Outreach Director, with agency experience, to oversee the development and delivery of client services, as well as external and internal marketing communications for the agency. Reporting to the VP of Strategic Development, the Director is a member of Civilian’s leadership team who is responsible for, and will collaborate with senior and junior staff members in:
- Leading the creation, development, and execution of communications products and services, proposal responses, and pitches while supporting Civilian’s goals, strategic plan, and community impact initiatives.
- Initiating and driving the planning, strategy development, recommendations and execution of earned media and community outreach activities for clients.
- Building and maintaining a high-quality communications, outreach, and public relations capability that compliments the services provided by other Civilian departments.
This position requires a thorough understanding of media and outreach strategies, innovative approaches to reach key audiences, and a commitment to the organization’s purpose and strategic vision.
- Lead the development and implementation of effective short- and long-term communications, messaging, and outreach strategies.
- Support and identify opportunities for innovative partnerships and approaches to advance the goals of the organization.
- Create and manage innovative outreach campaigns, media outreach, infographics, blog posts and other related events to advance the priorities of clients and the organization.
- Organize and serve as the point of contact for media outreach; manage all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; provide talking points and other materials as needed; respond to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Update, refine, and evolve the organization’s website regularly to maintain fresh content and a user-friendly design.
- Support the CEO’s public outreach and media engagement, including through drafting of talking points, presentations, testimony, and statements.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues to execute strategies.
- Participate in monthly leadership team meetings, weekly department meetings, and staff meetings. Communicate relevant information.
- Offer suggestions for improvement and growth in an effective manner.
- Industry leader with a highly visible profile and 10+ years of experience in strategic marketing, communications, public relations, branding, and social media, including within a marketing and/or PR agency.
- Public/community outreach and program development experience required.
- Outstanding communications skills, both written and oral; adept at public speaking.
- Problem-solver with excellent attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or university required; MBA or equivalent business experience/background preferred.
- Ability to tailor communications that effectively connect with diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to develop and implement public affairs, marketing, and communications plans that achieve specific, measurable results.
- Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, supervisory and organizational skills to foster optimal inter-departmental relationships; good listener who includes and engages others and can modify his/her approach to the audience
- Ability to manage people and multiple projects with competing priorities; ability to navigate complex situations, helping to resolve ambiguity and inspire colleagues to their best performance.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to Careers@Civilian.agency and use “Applying for Communications Director at Civilian” in the subject line.
Civilian is a full-service marketing communications agency and Certified B Corporation dedicated to building stronger communities. From our San Diego headquarters, and offices in Los Angeles and Sacramento, we work with government agencies, not-for-profits, and purpose-driven businesses to activate human potential and tackle complex social and environmental issues—from preventing suicide, obesity, and drug abuse, to increasing transit ridership, conservation, and public safety—to create change for the common good. Learn how at www.civilian.agency.